Right, it isn’t autumn but I first made this stew during that time and got hooked ever since. By the end of the cooking time, the onions basically meld into the soup, adding a savoury-sweetness, while the meaty flavour of the pork adds a certain depth to the soup. Just look at that colour..
The recipe is loosely adapted from here
- 300g pork meat/bones for stewing, cubed
- 2 apples, cubed
- 2-3 sweet potatoes, cubed
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 carrot, cubed
- spices: ground cumin, rosemary (whatever floats your boat, I ran out of cumin)
- 4 T flour
- ground pepper,salt
- Heat the oil, add the meat and give it a nice sear.
- Add the onions and carrots. Let it swat for a few minutes.
- Add the flour and heat it until it is cooked through.
- Add the rest of the ingredients.
- Top it up with chicken stock/water â€“ just enough to cover everything.
- Stew until the meat is tender, vegetables are soft, and the soup is richly coloured. (About 2hrs)
- Season to taste.